I have been in the PhD program for a while and I can tell you that FOOD is really important for PhDs.
We are always on the look out for good free food.
We always think of ways to get the most nutrition out of limited budgets 😀
With my fridge broken and not willing to go out and eat, I looked for noodles.
Then I thought I should probably live heathier so I went to down to Jons, an economic grocery story that offers stuff at very low prices (Thank You Jesus).
As I looked for things that are reasonably tasty and healthy yet cheap, I found yam and egg plant.
Yam is a good source of potassium, manganese, thiamin, and fiber. And they are sweet.
Egg plant is low in fat and it tastes good when fried (I did not know egg plants had so little nutritional value until I read Wikipedia).
So how did I consume the yam and the egg plant. Here is the recipe.
Boiled Yam and Fried Egg Plants
- Heat the frying pan for the egg plants (medium heat).
- Wash the yam and egg plant.Peel the skin off the yam. Cut the yam into edible chunks.
- Pour olive oil on the pan and put it on high heat.
- Fill a glass container with water and submerge the yam pieces (glass containers are easier to wash and feel better).
- Put the glass container in the microwave for eight minutes. Make sure that the lid is on not closed (if you close the lid, you will not be able to open it later!).
- While the yam gets cooked, thinly slice the egg plant and put some salt so it loses the water. This makes the egg plant taste sweeter (you can make it sweeter if you wait and put some weight on the slices and let water drain but I did not have time to wait…).
- Dunk the egg plant slices in the olive oil and fry them until they become golden brown (No need to use so much oil just enough to cover the slices).
- Put the browned egg plants on a paper towel and remove the excess olive oil.
If everything goes as planned, the yam and egg plants should both be ready at the same time. So under 12 minutes, you should have a delicious and healthy meal ready to eat.
For extra flavor, I suggest using Siracha or any sauce that you can get your hands on. I had sauces left over from my Pho delivery. It was delicious!
This recipe saves you time and money, and it keeps you healthy. Plus, it is reasonably good. You will not complain about the food. The joy of saved time and money and reasonable nutrition will make you proud ^^
Please share your great recipes 😀