I usually don’t like going to Korean BBQ because it is not cheap and I will eat until I explode.
But recently, my wife wanted to go so went to Gen Korean BBQ.
I have been to Gen before and did not think much about it until I realized that it is less ten years old and has 20+ locations!
So I decided to do some research what makes Gen so good.
Here is my analysis-
- Great atmosphere. Clever idea making Korean BBQ cool- Usually, Korean BBQ restaurants look cheap or expensive but Gen made it cool like a club- And that helps sell alcohol and drinks, which have nice margins
- Large venue with lot of parking. It is really great that Gen located in lesser expensive areas where they can have a big restaurant with lot of parking available.
- Nice price. Gen is about $5 dollars cheaper than most Korean BBQ attracting younger and more frugal customers.
- No fume! It has a great ventilation system so you won’t smell so much like Korean BBQ when you leave.
- Self-service. It saves money on labor by having customer cook their meat.
- Nice menu selection. It has 32-35 selections but I think may be 5-7 are the most popular. Just like Baskin Robins 31, it gives a lot of choices but few item are probably popular.
- Not bad side dishes. I can tell that the side dishes are optimized to mostly non-Koreans which is great because this is the US-
- Data analysis. All the orders are received through an Ipad- I am pretty certain someone is crunching that data because I have seen some changes in the menu and the meat comes out quite quickly so it is likely they are using some analytics.
Now some improvements-
- Gen is dark so sometimes, it is not always clean. Often I can feel the grease on the floor and the wall as well! May be staff was too tired to clean or forgot but yeah you need to clean that grease.
- Some meat items don’t taste well at all. It may depend but I think some meat items are not good at all. May be better to take them off because they still have a good selection.
- Happier staff. I am not sure but many staff seem tired and not so happy. Happier staff will likely lead to happier customers.
Overall, Gen is a good place to get Korean BBQ- Look forward to going back and improved services and menu 😀